Friday, July 8, 2011

Revealing the Notre Dame box...

I finally got around to picking up another Notre Dame Collegiate Collections box and ended up with 2 more sets, which are going to BA Benny and Justin.  I wanted to show off some of the cards from the set, just because there are some great names in there, both familiar and unfamiliar.  First, I gotta start with the three Joe Montana cards in the set, which, as you probably can guess, are the most sought after cards.




I like how they did the checklists for the set, with each covering 100 cards and being a part of the set.


 
Gotta show Knute.


Since I didn't know a ton about Notre Dame's past, this name surprised me:


Judging by the picture, the nickname was appropriate.  I now know why Lambeau Field doesn't have a dome.  They couldn't afford the hair.  The next guy is the namesake of one of the most common sports phrases:


That's the Gipper.  You know, as in "Win just one for the Gipper".  Gipp died of strep throat just weeks after being named an All-American in his senior season.  Gipp's famous line was told to Knute Rockne while Gipp was on his deathbed:

"I've got to go, Rock. It's all right. I'm not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it, and I'll be happy."

That quote helped power Notre Dame to an upset victory over Army in 1928.  Just plain a cool card to own. 

 Now ends the serious part of the post. 

Here begins the comedy section. Some of the names in this set are just awesome.

It's just no fun to go by "Richard".
If your name is Heartly, adding "Hunk" really isn't hurting things, I suppose.
The only thing better than Jim Brown.
To pass, or not to pass, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the field to handoff,
The spins and stiff-arms of outrageous touchdowns,
Or to take arms against a D of ballhawks. 
My personal favorite:


Why is that my favorite, you ask?  Because they used the wrong picture:


I also would have liked to see:


Unfortunately, the set was created before he was really relevant.

No comments: