Thursday, February 3, 2011

Jefferson Burdick Custom Card

My wife is out of town this week, so I had some free time to work on something I've wanted to do for a while.  I wanted to try my hand at making a card.  I've designed customs and posted them on here before, but I've never actually made a card.  This one was quickly thrown together, but despite some of the obvious flaws, I'm pretty damn happy.  The problem now, is that I don't know what to do with it. 

Jefferson Burdick Letter Patch













Yes, cheesy, I know, but I had to give it a go.  The scans probably make it look better than it does in person, but I say it's not bad considering I didn't have a clue what I was doing.  I thought about adding it to the prize pool of the draft contest I'm currently having. My biased self thinks it's too awesome for that, though, and deserves better. I'd consider trading or selling (yeah right). What do you think I should do with it?

7 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

Hey, that looks pretty cool. Did you use a regular printer and paper? I want to make some cards too, but I don't want them to look like I just printed them out. What process did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Since it's literally your card, I think you should do what ever you want with it. I would make several and give them away in trades.

Dennis said...

If you sign it and add an inscription that says "COLLECT" I'll trade you for one, but only if it's not a sticker auto. Also, can you comment on the fact that the best card in the My Cardboard Mistress custom card set was not included in packs?

Dawgbones said...

Awesome, I'd say don't give it away in the contest (only cause I didn't make the first cut and would have no chance at it!!) pretty darned cool there Spankee. I'd be curious to see how you did it as well. I am attempting to make my own MLB Logos set, but don't know how to print them out, or what to print them on... and I also say you should sign it, but I'd take it whether it was a stickered auto or not!!

Spankee said...

@Charles - I used my plain old printer and printed to sticker paper. I stuck the sticker paper on cardstock and glued the two side around a decoy with a hole cut out for the patch. I did all the cutting with a little razor, which is why the cuts went rogue at some places. The key is putting it in a sleeve and toploader, that way it looks like a shiny print even if it isnt. I'm sure there is a better way, but with the patch in there it seemed to make sense.

@caljr3000 - First, My Cardboard Mistress would like to thank you for reading. Second, My Cardboard Mistress, just like other card companies, does not give a shit about what the collector wants. MCM is considering holding this 1-of-1 card as a redemption replacement for a redemption that can be pulled from our highest-of-the-high-massive-mojo-$300-a-box-for-one-card product.

Eric L said...

As someone who writes a blog with "manupatches" in the title, I feel like I need to inform you that your first mistake was leaving the letter unsigned. Should you decide to sign it at a later date, be sure to use the dullest sharpie you can find and to use your non-dominant hand to do the signing.

BA Benny said...

That card rocks! As a fan of manupatches, I gotta say it looks better then what some of the "professional" card companies have made in the past. You should keep it so when you make more you still have the one that started it all. When you decide to make more I would like to request a "B" and an "M" please.

Fuji said...

Wow... beautiful custom card. If I were you, I place it a stand and make it the centerpiece of your collection.