Thursday, May 16, 2013

2002 Upper Deck Series 2


It's too easy to grab certain packs at the LCS.  These just kept jumping into the bag.  I'm not complaining though.  I wasn't really collecting in the late '90s or early '00s, so it's cool to finally open some of those packs.

Base Cards



Six "Star Rookies" whose careers consist of a 5.5 ERA and 65 HR. 


Yikes.  The only redeemable quality of these cards is what it says on A-Rod's:


"Sets mark for homers by ass on 9/23/01".  At least, that's how I read it.  There's also the grammatical issue where it could be interpreted as though he hit a bunch of homers on 9/23/01.


The Superstar Summit cards don't do much for me, but the Return of the Ace cards are pretty sweet.

Lastly, I managed to pull a really nice card:

 
 
This is a great looking Larkin relic with a hint of pinstripe.  I was really surprised to get a HOFer relic from those packs.  

4 comments:

Dennis said...

Nice! I've actually had my eye on that Larkin on COMC for a bit. Might it be available for the right Hokie/Upton/Wright et al?

Nick said...

Although I may be in the minority, 2002 has always been one of my favorite Upper Deck sets.

JediJeff said...

Crappy rookies for sure, but damn that is a great card of Reed Johnson.

Dhoff said...

This set has some great rookies in it...and you didn't get any of them.