Friday, July 30, 2010

Target $1.59 pack

I grabbed a pack of 2008 Upper Deck Series 1 the other day from the $1.59 box from Target because it was the only one in there.  I actually managed to get a hit in the pack, though it's of Travis Hafner, who seems to be the player I am most likely to pull memoribilia cards since I think I have 3-4 now.














I like when a jersey card makes sense (i.e. when the jersey color matches the jersey pictured), but I wasn't particularly interested in the card until I looked at the background picture.  I made out the player on the scoreboard to be Vince Coleman, and he's wearing a KC hat.  Vince played for the Royals in 1994 and 1995, so in this picture, the field is still Jacob's Field. I was surprised to figure out that the picture in the background was so old, since Hafner didn't even join the Tribe until 2003.  I became especially interested in the card when I noticed that the US Flag is at half-staff.  I couldn't figure out why this was the case and also what game this was, so maybe someone can help me.  Vince Coleman and the Royals played at Jacob's Field six times: 4/15/94, 4/16/94, 4/17/94, 5/8/95, 5/9/95, and 5/10/95.  Any clue why the flag would be at half-staff?
In addition to the Hafner jersey, I also got a David Wright Starquest that I didn't have, so I'll add it to my David Wright collection.












Not bad for less than 2 bucks.

No comments: