Monday, June 6, 2011

Tools of the Trade #2

Well, it only took me half of the year, but I finally got around to another Tools of the Trade post.  In the Tools of the Trade series, I want to show some of the antique tools that I have inherited from my wife's grandfather.  I have bragged about my garage, which has a book shelf dedicated to these tools, but I want to give some detail of the various tools.  See the original post here:

Tools of the Trade #1: Stanley No. 4 Level

Today's tool is an Auburn Tool Company No. 181 Plane. 


 The markings on one end of the tool read of the company:

AUBURN TOOL Co
AUBURN N.Y.
(surrounding a star)
 
 
and the other end has the tool specs:
 
INCH 1/4

NO. 181



Overall, the dimensions of the plane are 9 1/2" x 3 3/8" x 1 1/4" with an 8" iron. The condition of this plane is incredible, and the iron is still very sharp.  I'm not an expert, and my research hasn't been too vigorous, but from what I have read, I would put this plane in the late 1800s.  I have a few planes similar to this one, but this one had such clear markings that I had to show it. 

As with the first post, if you know anything else about this tool, please let me know.  I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my new collection.

No comments: