Thursday, June 9, 2011

2005 Upper Deck All-Star Classics Box Break Part 2: The Inserts

This is part 2 of my 2005 Upper Deck All-Star Classics.














I already showed off the base cards, which were awesome, so now it's time for the inserts.

Midsummer Classics (1:24):

This insert set highlights great performances in the All-Star games.  I got Garret Anderson, which is decent. I really like the look of the card, though.















Perennial All-Stars (1:24):

This insert set shows players who have made several All-Star Games.  I pulled one of the best in Pujols.  The card design here doesn't wow me, but I do like that it has a foil "3" for the number of All-Star Games he's played in (at the time). 














All-Star MVPs (1:24):

This insert set shows some of the All-Star Game MVPs of the past.  I beat the odds by getting two in my box, and it doesn't get much better than Jeter and Griffey.  I really like the design of these cards.










All-Star Matchups (1:24):

This insert set shows moments of great matchups from the All-Star Game.  In this case, the 2001 All-Star Game, Jeter hits a dinger off Jon Lieber.  This is a very well laid out dual player card, in my opinion.








All-Star Box Scores (1:24):

As far as I am concerned, this is, by far, the best All-Star Game insert ever.  These cards work on so many levels.  I forgot to scan the back, but you can see an example here.  The front shows the box score for each team, along with a picture of one of the players.  The back shows the line score (inning-by-inning score), has a writeup about the game, and includes a short blurb about the player pictured.  Just plain awesome. 



All told, I think the inserts in this set are amazing.  If they weren't so rare, I'd probably try to collect them all.  Each insert set has 20 cards, and even COMC only has a couple of each, so I don't see that one happening.  The next and final part of this break will show the relics and the gold parallels. 

No comments: