Saturday, June 23, 2012

2008 Upper Deck X: 16 packs

I don't get all the hate for this set.  Sure, the base set is pretty boring, but the Die Cuts are great, and 1 per pack makes the set attainable.  The Die Cut Gold parallels are really rare, but they make a great looking binder page. The relics and autos leave something to be desired, though the Griffey, Jeter and Longoria autos are sick.

Ok, still not convinced?  Well, UDX did have one undeniably fantastic feature.  The Xponential inserts.  They were every bit the fantastic promise that UDX was built on.  They are some of the best inserts of the 2000s.  I think UDX would have been a much bigger hit if each pack yielded an X1 and an X2,3or4.  Regardless, these packs are great pickups for under $2.

Ok, so maybe you don't agree with any of that.  Oh well, I do.  I have a sickness.  I love 2008 UDX.  Here are 16 packs I opened over the past couple of months:



The two golds and the Verlander were the ones I was happiest to see.


X1s and X2s for my sets...


...as well as X3s and an X4.

I'm still debating chasing the relic and auto sets.  The autos wouldn't be bad at all other than the Griffey, Jeter and Longo.  The relic set is doable.

Thoughts?


2 comments:

night owl said...

X has grown on me over the years, although I like the '09 set better than '08.

The inserts, I think everyone agrees, look great.

McCann Can Triple said...

I like this set. Mainly because it was smaller and therefore, easier to get. I am 3 cards short on 08.