Saturday, June 2, 2012

NBA Playoffs Pack Rip: 20011-12 Panini Past & Present Hobby


I was very unsure of this product the first time I saw it.  It really seemed like a mish-mash of designs and ages.  After seeing it in person, I'm not sold on it, but I like it more than at first.


I'm not big on the design of the Conley/Jefferson/Nowitzki cards, but I like the others.  The simulated "wear" on the cards is tomewaht tacky, but works, but to my displeasure.  I can't stand pre-faded and pre-torn jeans and clothing, so I really wanted to hate the simulated aging.  The Raining 3's inserts is fantastic, though it doesn't really fit the set design too well (it's a little too modern).  The background (black/gray) is matte and the splashes of red and white, as well as the player, are raised up and glossy, giving the card a great feel.  The best comparison of these cards right now would be to Topps Artifacts baseball cards, and these blow them out of the water from a pure card feel.  Topps Artifacts feels horrendously cheap in my opinion, and these feel like quality cards. I'm not a big Panini fan most times, but these cards are definitely some of their best work.

Leaderboard:

Bulls......15
Thunder....10
Jazz.......10
Clippers...9
Grizzlies..9
Hawks......9

Spurs......7
Celtics....7

76ers......7
Heat.......6
Mavericks..6
Nuggets....4
Lakers.....3
Knicks.....3
Magic......3
Pacers.....2

3 comments:

John Bateman said...

Did you mean Topps Archives

Spankee said...

I would like to take a moment to thank the cold medicine for making this post horribly unreadable and incoherent.

"tomewaht"="somewhat"
"but to my displeasure=get rid of the "but"
"inserts is"="inserts are"
"Artifacts"="Archives"
again, "Artifacts"="Archives"

Wow. I suck.

Jeremy said...

I like the card designs. I do agree that the raining threes card is a little too modern for this set, but it does look nice as a stand alone card.