1) Downsizing: I want to cut the footprint of all my cards in half. In other words, I need more closet space, and my house is growing any time soon. I have plans to give away a bunch, and I'm making progress on de-dupe-ing my collection, which is a solid start.
2) Baseball Player Collections: My pack-ripping focus shifted throughout 2013 from baseball to football, so the bulk of this progress will likely have to come from trades (or in Sizemore's case, eBay).
- Scott Sizemore - 150 cards - I'm currently at 146 unique cards, so I should be able to reach this goal. However, I have more than half of his cards, and he has 100+ 1/1s, so opportunities are drying up a bit. If he can latch on a team and get some playing time (and likely some new cards) this year, I'll up the goal to 175.
- David Wright - 300 cards - I need 18 cards to hit this goal, so it may be tight.
- BJ Upton - 235 cards - It'll only take 8 cards to get there, but if he continues to suck, people will be less likely to notice his cards.
- Justin Upton - 175 cards - I need 15 to get there, but it's do-able.
- Justin Verlander - 190 cards - I'm at 181, so I should get there, provided I don't sell off my JV collection and start over (yes, I know I threatened that last year and didn't do it).
- Ryan Zimmerman - 236 cards - I think this is the year that Zim passes BJ for the #2 spot. I added 29 Zims last year.
- Michael Cuddyer - 90 cards - I'd love to get Cuddy to 100, but I don't see myself picking up 21 new cards, even with his resurgence.
- Mark Reynolds - 60 cards - 4 cards isn't too much to ask is it? It remains to be seen where he'll play this year, but I should be able to get 4 cards.
- OVERALL (not incl. Sizemore) - 1300 cards - I need 89 to get there. Let's do this.
- Bryan Randall - I want to add at least 3 cards. I have 23 of his 32 non-printing-plate-cards. That leaves 9 cards to chase, of which 3 are CFL cards that are tough to get. There are 6 cards that I want to track down, so adding 3 this year would be huge.
- All other Hokies - 500 cards/60 players/100 hits - I'm at 417/50/83. I definitely want half of those 60 players to have autos, as well. Logan Thomas figures to be VT's biggest rookie name, so I'd like to add his autograph.
- Contests - I'm not planning anything remotely close to the magnitude of the football contest I did in 2013, but I will have a few contests.
- New Banner - The HOF card will be outdated, Royce White is forgotten, and the Buttfumble...well, ok, the Buttfumble is timeless, but it's time for an update.
- Posts - I'm not setting a specific number, but I'd like to finish the 2006 Allen & Ginter set, as well as post all of the cards I've opened and scanned. I also want to get back to posting trade posts faster.
- Enjoy collecting and enjoy my collections. That's what it's all about.
- Spend less. This isn't just card-related. It's more a general life goal. I want to improve my financial situation.
- De-clutter my house. We have too much stuff. Downsizing my card collection will help, but it's only small part of the equation.
Well, on that happy note, have a good 2014!