Thursday, July 2, 2015

Twenty Packs Plus a Hit - Part 1 of 13

With 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter coming this month, I desperately need to warm up the blog.  I am absolutely participating in Gint-A-Cuffs this year.  I cannot stress this enough: If you have a blog and are opening a box of Allen & Ginter, participate in Gint-A-Cuffs.  It's fun, it's free, and you could win something good from Topps.

Anyway, here's this:


According to my records, I scanned this 15 months ago.  That's how sad my blogging has gotten.  If you have a keen eye, you can spot the hit right there in the middle.  Hmmmm...looks thick.

Here's a list of what fell out of the box:

1 2003 Flair Hobby
1 2013 Topps Archives Rack Pack
1 2006 UD Ovation
1 2012 Topps GQ Retail
1 2012 Topps Archives Retail
3 2012 Topps S1 Retail
1 2013 Topps S2
1 2013 Topps S1
1 2013 Topps Update
2 1990 Donruss
4 2013 Topps OD
2 2008 UD First Edition Update
Hit

Since there are 13 rows on the list and I'm not feeling particularly creative, we'll start at the top and go one-by-one, day-by-day.

First up 2003 Flair Hobby...most likely what was plastered on the front of the window to entice me to buy.



If you made me guess pre-pack-openage if Ellis Burks was still playing in 2003, I would have said "no".  I probably didn't know that he ever played for anyone but the Red Sox, which is sad since Boston was less than half his career.  I also had no idea he was a career .291 hitter with 350+ homeruns.  Apparently, I don't know crap.


I feel like the entire second half of Soriano's career was spent with everyone thinking he'd turn things around and be like he was in the first half.  


I wonder what the most valuable 2003 Tampa Bay Rays card is.  It's gotta be that uh...um...card of that guy...um...yeah.  Whatever it is, can't have a street value of more than $20 I would guess.  That's Beckett Book Value of $1200 for those of you who still think Beckett is a nonfiction read.


Vazquez earned $99M in career salary.  


New rule for HOF voting.  You can only vote if you were between the ages of 10 and 20 at some point during the player's career.  That means you can only vote on Bagwell's candidacy if you were born between 1971 and 1995.  So, you have to be somewhere between 20 and 44 years old right now.  Is Bagwell a Hall of Famer?  Yes, it shouldn't even be a question.  Yes.  He is.  He just is.  There's no "well he only had this many..." or "he did this but not that..." There's should only be "Yes he's a HOFer because he is.  Why? Because he is.  Because he just is."

If you are older than 44, don't be offended.  It's not that I don't value your opinion in general.  I just don't value your opinion on things where you opinion is far less likely to be valuable.  I doubt I offended anyone.  If you're older than 44 and you read my blog, you probably don't take yourself too seriously, anyway.  And that is a good thing.

As for those under 20...Screw you, you're an idiot.


4 comments:

Hackenbush said...

My opinions are conditionally valuable! Well, that's better than being an outright idiot. I don't really have an opinion on Bagwell anyway so I guess you're right.

SpastikMooss said...

Awesome post. Ellis Burks was a beast as a Rockie...and that's how I knew him first despite growing up in Sox land. So weird.

Need More Cardboard said...

These boxes now contain "A bonus item" rather than a hit. So far all of the "bonus items" I've seen have been a few Topps Chipz. BLEGH!! I guess Fairfield realized that it was a lot more cost effective to buy the tens of thousands of unopened packs of Chipz floating around out there that no one ever wanted Topps to make in the first place, rather than buying bulk lots of relics and autos.

Play at the Plate said...

I'm exactly 44...for another 43 days. I'm not offended. I'll probably forget it before this comment is over...:)