Thursday, March 21, 2013

Football Contest: Coach's Challenge

Kevin, owner of the Minnesota Vikings in my football contest, left a comment at the bottom of the Week 1 post.  His comment: "I want a re-count!" His beloved Vikings lost in a tiebreaker to the Jaguars.  He may have been joking or pointing out the fact that I originally had the standings/records messed up.  However, I took it as a Coach's Challenge.  So, let's breakdown the matchup.

Both teams landed 1 veteran base card and one rookie card.  The Vikings saw Jarius Wright and Chad Greenway


Wright had 22 catches for 310 yards and 2 TDs in his rookie season.  Chad Greenway had 148 tackles, 3 sacks, and 1 INT on the season.  Not bad.

As for the Jaguars, they got Andre Branch and Maurice Jones-Drew:


Andre Branch had 12 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble in his rookie season.  MJD had 414 yards in just 6 games on the season. 

I stand by the regular scoring that left both teams with 3 points, so I had to come up with a tie breaker.  Upon closer inspection per Kevin's challenge, I made a list of notable items about the cards.  Unfortunately for Kevin, all of the potential tie-breakers I came up with gave the Jags the edge:

Branch went to Clemson, an ACC school.
Branch is from Richmond, VA.
The MJD card has the All-Pro stamp.
I needed the Andre Branch card for my set.

Ultimately, it was the last fact that officially gave the Jags.  I'm trying to complete 2012 Topps Football, so naturally I favored the card that got me closer to completion.

Ruling on the field: Game stands as called.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I withdraw my challenge flag