Thursday, June 5, 2014

NBA Finals

The 2014 NBA Finals just started a couple minutes ago.  I'm excited about this year being a rematch because last year's Finals were amazing.  My prediction for this year is Heat in 6, though I wouldn't really be surprised with any outcome.  Both teams are capable of getting hot and dominating.

The Spurs and Heat are definitely the two best teams in the league, and they do it in completely different ways.  The Spurs are all fundamentals with crisp passing and great gameplanning from Pop.  The Heat are athletic and agressive, and of course, they have the world's best player, Lebron James.

Speaking of James:



Here he is on some 2013-14 Fleer Retro wrappers alongside another great, Magic Johnson.  I ripped some Fleer Retro football this year and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd get a taste of the basketball version.


The base cards aren't bad.  I love the Rodman since you don't hear much about his college career.


The rookies are pretty boring, but the real draw of this set is the inserts.


My first insert was a Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995-96 Fleer Ultra Design.


Rajon Rondo made an appearance in the 1998-99 Skybox Premium design.


You can't go wrong with a Michael Jordan insert.  This one is the 1996-97 Skybox Premium design.  For a lot of folks, these cards area throwback to cards they purchased.  I couldn't afford much more than a couple packs of Topps, Fleer, and Hoops, so I never got a chance at these designs.


I did manage to get a autograph, though it's really a pretty ugly card.  The 1996-97 Autographics design is pretty cool, but the auto placement and horrible picture selection kills this one.

Usually, an auto would be the best card, but I picked up one of the rarer inserts (1:216 packs):


This Star Power Supreme Paul George Insert is die cut acetate and looks even better in person than on the scan.  If I had gotten this a week ago when the Pacers were still alive, it would have been better, but George is a pretty good name regardless.

That does it for these three packs.  I wouldn't mind ripping a box if the money came along, but when does that ever happen?

No comments: